Sunday, October 11, 2015

There's This Girl Though

I was crushing on a girl to the annoyance of my friends. I tried to find a historical justification for it. Like I'm sure this is the feeling behind the gay rights movement. It all starts with this crazy pit-of-your-stomach feeling.





I want to write this essay tonight


there’s this girl though

I’m stuck on the thought of her like sinking
in quicksand
or a mire
or maybe more like sinking in honey
because


I can’t move
but I will gladly succumb to the sweetness of
her smile.
I can’t stop thinking about
how she’s beautiful
like Midwestern lightning storms are beautiful
She is so full of electricity and rain
And I can’t believe she was born in Iowa
like I thought the only things that grew-up in Iowa were corn and thunderstorms.


and I know I have obligations this weekend because it’s homecoming
but there’s this girl though
and I just want to see her
because her eyes are the color of that top layer of ice on a lake in the winter when it is finally strong enough to skate across
And like cornflowers in the summer blowing along a fence post in a field
somewhere in Iowa
and I just want slide into them until the seasons change from
cornflowers to ice and back again


and you said don’t be stupid
it’s just some girl you just met


But it is 1955 and
I just want to go out
into neighborhoods like broken glass
to the only bars we have
Where the lights of the squad car flash blue and red like blood veins in the window
I know I’ll be beaten by the police
until I bleed her name onto the sidewalk
Because I am not wearing three pieces of women’s clothing.
I should stay home


but there’s this girl though
and she’s pulsing through me
until my weathered veins are just frayed wire
because I need to see her tonight
like maybe tonight is the only night we’ll have
because who knows what will happen tomorrow


It is 1970 and
I’m the lavender menace
In your women's movement
Even though I live the principles of feminism
out loud it echos in my ribcage
I’m coming out of the closet and into the streets
my heart on my sleeve and
it might cost me my job, my family, my life
I could ignore this beating in my chest but


there’s this girl though
she makes me want to rip free my heart
and hold it in raised in my fist and rush into the street
chant with the rhythm of my naked heart
“gay and proud,


gay and proud,


gay and proud!”
My love laid bare on the pavement


it is 1975
And I am in the Michigan woods
drunk on radical feminist notions
and beer
I Want to grow a sisterhood
from a single seed
see the lesbian nation rise with the sun.
maybe I won’t do it more than one year


there’s this girl though
and I feel her in my skin
this itch to hold her in public
to raise her up
and tell her I love the way the sunlight reflects off
her body
that I just want to howl at the moon
because she is wild. feral. female.
I’ll rise like this moon every August
for four decades over this land
to welcome her home.


it is 2015
I want to take my love to the highest law of the land
to make her my…
well wife doesn’t quite fit
like man and wife
But we never fit quite right
like a key into the traditional lock of matrimony
but our love needs security
to replace our mountain of precarious legal paperwork
with two words “I do.”
Is it marriage?


there’s this girl though
and when I look into her eyes
I see ourselves at 80
I and see our babies
I want them to call us both mom
I want to be the last one to look into her eyes and hold
her on our worst day at the hospital
and I want to make eye contact with my family
when I say “this is my life.”


All the revolutions of herstory
wouldn’t have happened but


there was this girl though
and she’s the spark
that changed the world

No comments:

Post a Comment