Monday, July 29, 2013

Dramatic Monolouge in Syllabic Verse

This one is pure fiction.

GIRL sits in a plastic chair in a hospital waiting room holding a coffee cup.



GIRL:
Thanks for the coffee. This place
is getting to me. Wait don’t
 go! Could you maybe stay here?
You could sit with me in this,
horrible greenish lobby.
(beat)
Waiting rooms are purgatorial
green. Never resurrection
white. Even at a Catholic
hospital. Did you notice?
(beat)
If you stayed here we could keep
vigil for my mom tonight.
It’s Maundy Thursday after all. 
You could hold my hand and tell
me “It’ll be all right” and
it won’t matter it’s a lie,
because you love me and all
ways were a gifted liar.
(beat)
At times like this people say,
“She always knew you were one
of the good ones.” I don’t think
I can say that. You two had
your problems. But I think she’d
be happy I’m not alone.
(beat)
Well probably not. I guess
she’d say, “I was sick and you
were just hanging out with guys.
I see how concerned you were.”
It wouldn’t matter if we
were praying the rosary
or making out against the
candy machine to her. I
shouldn’t speak ill of the...ill.  
(beat looks up at the clock)
It’s Good Friday now I guess.
Oh this is a dumb idea.
I’ve been up all night. Sorry. 
Maybe I could just rest my
head on you for a second.
(leaps up)
No! Why are you even here?
I don’t ever hear from you,
then suddenly you show up!
Why? To see what a mess I
am? You win okay? You win.
You win this fucking break up.
(beat)
Don’t be like this? How else should
I be? Tell me how to act.
Because I don’t have a clue.
Did you come to see me be
a mess? Or to be some sort
of Prince Charming? Come to save
me? That’s cruel to do to
somebody who still loves you.
(beat)
Okay! I still love you. Fine.
Now that I’ve said it, just leave.
We both know you want to.
You’ve been trying leave since
you got here. I can just tell.
(beat)
What’s wrong with us? Good people
don’t act like this. You should go...
or you could stay a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment